[TUTORIAL] Playstation 2 as a Media Center
Playstation 2 as a Media Center::.
Ever thought of using your Playstation 2 as a Media Center whereby you could play your favorite songs , watch movies and uh even get latest weather information. This way your playstation 2 can be more then just a gaming machine. When I say it acts a Media center , it means that it can play all your MP3 collections , Divx videos that you ripped from DVD or Ďborrowed from the Internetí , and now even MP4s (which i find it pretty amazing ). Oh , not to mention that is has a cool looking GUI much like Playstationís 3 and PSPís XMB Media Interface. It gives you the feeling of using PS3 but on a PS2.
Some of you may ask what are the advantages over say a normal DVD Player which has USB Port and can playback these files. Well , firstly its cheap to get Playstation 2 these days as opposed to say getting a dedicated DVD Player which can do this. Plus , the software is expandable , meaning that as developers come up with new methods and add more codecs , the Playstation can play more files. You can even listen to live shoutcast streams (provided if you have a network adapter which is linked to a Internet connection). The two USB 1.1 ports are pretty handy if you ask me compared to one as it comes with normal DVD player or BluRay player (I havenít seen one which has two). Overall , its totally worth the money and you can play classic Playstation two games. Bored ? , then fire up GameBoy emulator or SNES emulator and play classic games with your PS2. It serves a pretty good gaming console
If you have one like me , donít throw it away. It still has its uses (provided that its working properly unlike my friend - Jun Huiís PlayStation whereby its broken. Just make sure that its working fine)
Now lets get back on how to install it , Iíve managed to capture some pictures , so that it would be easier for you to understand. Lets take a look at what are requirded for it :-
* A Playstation 2 Console which has been modified (aka a modchip has been installed). Iím not sure how to do it if your playstation 2 isnít ďmoddedĒ. Just to be one a safe side , make sure your PlayStation 2 has a mod chip. I guess any mod chip will do. Make sure you have some space available in the memory card
* A Computer , which has a CD Burner to burn ISO and USB Pen Drive (Iíll explain why you need a pen drive later)
* Uh Lets see , time and some effort and a bit of patience and common sense. Just donít depend on this guide fully as I would always recommend people to have a bit of common sense and uh , try to venture out of the box !
Firstly , youíll be needing SMS Boot CD. SMS stands for Simple Media , its a media center application for Playstation 2 , it plays Divx , MP3 , and couple of other file formats as well. But SMS isnít as friendly as Argon (no not that inert gas). Argon is actually a modified version of SMS which includes heaps more of stuff and it even has a picture viewer , and cool weather checker. Think of it as a more proper Media center for your playstation 2
1. Download SMS Boot CD from here. Youíll have to use Nero for this to burn. Just burn the Iso File. Copy Argon files to your USB Pen Drive. We will be booting Argon from USB Pen Drive. (Download it from here or you can download it here). Oh donít forget to copy some of your movies or MP3s to your Pen Drive. Lastly make sure that it is formatted in FAT32. I recommend you to use a Pen Drive which has a capacity of less then 1 GB. If you donít want to use Pen Drive , you can use a portable Hard disk provided that it is formatted in FAT (not NTFS)
2. Once you have burnt the CD and you have copied to your Pen Drive. Just put the CD to your playstation 2 console and start it. - but before that -Make sure you have plugged in your USB Drive/Pen Drive/Hard Disc. Now let the CD boot and you should see a main menu .
uLaunchElf which is currently running on my playstation 2 (Ack , the refresh rates aren't in sync)
This is the uLaunchElf , its a file launcher/manipulator/manager for Playstation 2. It allows you to copy data from memory card to a memory device , vise versa . Its ideal for you to copy your saved games to say to your USB Pendrive and archive it to a computer or even download save games from the internet and put it inside your Drive and move it to the memory card. The possibilities with it are endless. It also serves as an application launcher and its even capable of viewing JPEG Images. Its one nifty file manager. Oh yeah it even has a Text Editor too !
3. Press O , then select ďmass:Ē and then choose Xmb.elf. Wait for a while and if everything goes okay you should have Argon loaded with the cool-looking XMB GUI. Its not as cool-looking as PSP or PS3 , but its comparable and it gives you the somewhat similar feelings. But for an old console , thatís something great. Now from here you can navigate to play your movies which are in your USB Drive or in network (if you have a network adapter and have PS2 Connected to your home network)
XMB GUI on the Playstation 2
4. Thats about it. You can use it to browse your collection. For your information, Iíve managed to hook up my dadís SAMSUNG F480 to the PlayStation 2 (as It can act as a USB mass storage device). It enables me to play back MP4 files which are loaded in the phone and as well as MP3 files. Not only that , I can view all the pictures which have been captured using the phoneís camera. Its pretty neat !. If your phone is capable of doing such things , then you wouldnít be having any issues as well. This is the whole beauty of playstation 2, it acts a hub. You can blast the music and let your friends listen to their music choice by just plugging in their MP3 Players
Samsung F480 and PS2 - It just works and it charges my dad's phone too. Now aint that cool. You can get to watch MP4s from your Phone or Media player and get it to charge at the sametime
Well here is Argon/SMS in action. its playing a movie (Morning Raaga) from my USB Pendrive. Eventhough itís a USB 1.1 Host , I can watch movies without any skipping or pauses as the PS2 prebuffers and stores it in the RAM. Not only that , it has a pretty good graphics processor to help it to decode and to deliver the umph. I am pretty impressed overall
Morning Raga (Divx) is playing file on my Playstation 2. I've resized the image to make a 16:9 video to fit to a 4:3 screen.
Oh you can remove the CD if you like , or if you want to load another DVD/CD which has your movies too. But youíll be needing the Pen Drive and the cd to allow you to boot into this media player. I will be talking more about McBoot which is a native bootloader for Playstation 2 , that allows you to run these programs from a memory card instead of a CD or USB Pen Drive !
HD Note - I am not sure if you are able to play HD formatted files or not. The playstation 2 hardware isnít capable enough of outputting in 720p , let alone 1080i/p. I wouldnít recommend you to connect your PS2 to a HD TV and expect it to play HD Content. Its recommended for EDTV and SDTV (normal TVs)
USB Drive Note - Some playstations are senestive when it comes to USB Pendrive. Your pen drive may or may not work. Just take note of this. Donít panic that if your Pendrive isnít detected by your playstation. Its a bit picky when it comes to pendrives. I found out that it hates Kengiston Pen Drive !
Where are the links for the mentioned softwares above?
Where is it ?
:vac: It is good to be here but who i am ;-)
All things are so easy when ist is to begin.
Lets have fun and engoy.
Where are the links? Please post them up...
Just look for SMS media player on Google, and stop flooding.
Playstation 2 the best !
that's very cool
Tags for this Thread