GPS Positioning on my own map
all GPS devices which include the map are horribly expensive! So, i wanted to read the current GPS location from my Nokia N79 (or sent by external GPS receiver via bluetooth) and show my exact position on specific image which will serve as a map!
Now, you would ask: Why? Nokia maps are free! But, I need it for the mountains... routes, terrain, satelite shots and so on...
Here are my thoughts:
1. From free online hiking maps take screenshots, connect them into one big image, crop it and use that image as a map
2. Image (example.gif) will have dimensions x,y
3. Set GPS coordinate for pixels (1,1), (1,x), (y,1), (x,y)
4. Read GPS location
5. Based on the image size and assigned GPS coordinates, put a "dot" at the current location
6. Calculation should be made "on the fly" as it depends on the image size
7. Images (example1.gif, example2.gif, example3.gif) could be stored in the specific folder on the memory card
8. coordinates, basic image info, etc could be stored in the same text file (example1.txt, example2.txt, example3.txt)
1. Have 3 different images with 3 different scales (1:10000, 1:25000, 1:50000)
2. Save position every minute and draw a route
3. Use a user-created database with mountain huts, fresh water sources, ...
3. integrate with Nokia maps so in case of emergency it would show closes possible village/town/...
I have never done application for a S60 so this project seems to be too big for the first S60 steps.
Is anyone aware of such application? or
Does someone likes this idea and would like to develop this application?
i think MGmaps does that u could add u'er own map, by OziExplorer.
I was not aware of such stuff!
Tags for this Thread